Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

There certainly has been a lot written about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. So much so that I initially resisted reading the book.  The last book I remember with this much hype was Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code which I found fairly pedantic and predictable.

Happily this book lives up to the hype.  Larsson's is writing a closed room mystery which is also wrapped up in a financial thriller all while being set in Sweden.  The mystery section is tightly written and having it set in Sweden really adds to the oddness of the entire story.

The main characters in the novel are very well developed and who's motivations are very real.  Of course, the break out character that everyone is talking about is Lisbeth Salander, the afore mentioned girl with the dragon tattoo.  While she makes a big impression on the reader the other main characters like Mikael Blomkvist, are no less interesting.

I have to recommend this book as a buy for the engaging mystery and believable characters.  I'm going to be starting in on the sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire, just as soon as I can clear some of these other books off my queue.

No comments: